Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I Don't Care Who Great Leaders Sleep With In Their Spare Time

I was saddened to hear the news today at Governor Eliot Spitzer had to resign from office because he was found out to be breaking the law by engaging in transactions with prostitutes.

I myself began to admire Mr. Spitzer when he took on some of the biggest names on Wall Street on behalf of Joe and Jane Q. Public during his tenure as NY State Attorney General. Mega Huge Investment Firms and Insurance Companies that no one else would dare to mess with were brought to their knees in court by this man. While he was far from perfect, I think he dedicated a lot of his time and energy to fighting the good fight and winning battles that no one thought could be won.

What a bummer to see such an inspiring politician's career brought to a premature end because of this kind of thing. I do firmly believe that who or what a political leader decides to sleep with in their time off should not be held against them. I don't think, however, that they should be allowed to break laws. Because Mr. Spitzer couldn't get his kicks for free, all of New York state loses out.

Now some folks might say, "He was cheating on his wife! You're a rabid feminist--how could this not upset you?" To which I say: you assume he was cheating on his wife. He and his wife may have come to any number of agreements on their sexual relationship, including an agreement to be polyamorous and/or to engage in anonymous sex with multiple partners. Much like being trained to look at gender as binary, we're also trained to think that every couple only wants to sexually be a couple with each other. But I've got news for you folks: polyamory is alive and well, along with many other kinds of non-traditional sexual relationships.

Sex often ruins politics only because people have an interest in enforcing what they see is "normal" on other folks. And you can probably guess how I feel about that.

No comments: