Monday, February 25, 2008

Listen 'Till You're Thin, Ladies!

While I was driving from Los Angeles to Tucson this weekend, I was listening to an independent radio station broadcasting from somewhere out in Palm Springs. The DJ came on and announced that the next track he'd be playing was off of a new CD called SkinnySongs. One of his friends is part of the production team of this new disc, he confessed, which has recently been featured on Oprah's and Martha Stewart's day time television shows. He didn't mention much about the project beyond that, but I was already alarmed and suspicious. The title of the song I heard is called "Blowin' You Off at 8". Here are some sample lyrics:

Today, I have to say, was the best day of my life
I hate to admit it -- but it sure felt nice
you pulled up a chair after checking me out
but when I looked at you, you were shocked to find out…

that this lady you’d been sizing up from behind
yeah, this lady, you’d been undressing with your mind
with this lady you were wanting to score
but she's the same girl you dumped six months before!

you dumped me at 16 now I’m blowin’ you off at 8
You told me I was fat -- now honey don’t I look great?
I’ve dropped four dress sizes down, now you're coming around
if you didn’t want me then, then you don’t deserve me now!



I was pretty disgusted at this song and the project as a whole, but I guess I am not that surprised. And of course this disc is clearly being marketed towards women (although I suppose it might also be profitable to do a SkinnySongs 2: Real Men Aren't Fat or something like that).

I have more things to say about this, but I am about to lose my internet connection. Just check out the website and try not to vomit while you're gazing upon it.

1 comment:

Nittle said...

Reminds me of the fateful trip across the desert from Tucson to LA almost 6 years ago. Somewhere near Palm Springs, I caught that Christian radio station... It took popular songs and lyrically "christianized" them. Example: Edie Brickell's "What I Want"... or U2's "With or Without (God)"... Here's to the extended-Inland Empire, forever the land of my lost dreams.