Monday, April 7, 2008

An Open Letter to White Feminists

This article has been making the rounds on several feminist blogs that I read. I have no idea how I feel about it, so I thought I would post here and see if anyone else had a reaction besides me.

It does make a laundry list of the ways the white feminist movement is failing other parts of the feminist movement. Even though I am white, as a genderqueer feminist I could already make my own list of the ways the current feminist movement is failing me. and other genderqueer feminists.

Overall, I'm not sure how productive the discussion that Jessica Hoffman has tried to start here will be. But it is at least worth a read.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Matz said...

I don't really feel qualified to comment, but I didn't like the editorial. The basic assumption, that if you are a feminist, then you must be against all abuses of power by the current system and must fight to tear down that system rather than working within it, seems to be false. It's the "if you're not with us, then you're against us" rhetoric that says you must fight a battle on every front. When in fact, social change is often made through single minded focusing on achievable goals. And then, once those goals are achieved, increasing the scope of your goals.